Monday, February 11, 2008

Beep-Beep, Beep-Beep, Yeah!

What drives you? This may seem like a silly question in a blog about franchises, and you may be thinking that I’m off my rocker. Yet, I pose the question to you again. What drives you?


It’s an important question for you to ask yourself before buying a franchise or starting any small business. You see, not everyone is driven by the same ambitions in life. We all may reach a point in our careers where we want more independence and financial freedom, and we might think that starting a small business will grant us those things as well as endowing us with a lifetime of happiness. That’s only true for some, though.


To decide if you truly will be happy and comfortable as the corporate titan at the helm of your own company ship, you need to first ask yourself where your life’s passions lay. Or to be gleefully redundant, I’ll ask it again: What drives you?


I know that I would not be a good person to own a small business. I’m not overly ambitious; I don’t want a big house, big car, big boat; and I’m not particularly interested in power. I’m not driven by money. I’m thankful that there are people out there in the world who are, since they create a job for me and allow me to pursue my passions. But I have to be honest with myself and admit I’m not one of them. I don’t have the drive to make the decisions that will bring in more money to the business.


What drives me, to answer my own question, are ideas and words. It’s what I love. What brings me joy is a big new idea or a real clever turn of phrase. Therefore I know I will always be working for someone else in some capacity. The secret is I’m comfortable with that fact.


For others, the drive may be to build something, something tangible like a house or a table. That physical accomplishment may be everything that person needs to fill up his soul and make him complete. Or he may also have the drive to make money with his work and therefore should start his own business. You can be driven by many things.


But since earning lots of money is probably at the bottom of the list of things that drive me, I shouldn’t try and be a business owner. That’s not to say I can’t offer you stellar advice on franchises, because I’m still in the business of businesses even if I’m not the spokesperson and boss.


That’s why it’s important to ask yourself this question before buying a franchise. Figuring out if you’re really the personality type to hop out of bed each morning and get excited over the prospect of making tons of money, is the most important conclusion you can make.


Franchise "Creature Feature" Writer

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice post. I'll remember this because I want to run my own business someday. Anyway, lately I've been thinking about buying a business instead of starting one from scratch. I'm not entirely positive about this, but do you have any suggestions? Advice? Thanks.